Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Masses have Spoken

 
There are many reasons doing art shows is SO fun.  First, your only job for that period of time is to talk about your art.  Blather on in creative speak bliss while the visitor's eye glaze a bit.  It's great.  The second fantastic thing is seeing people's reaction to your work.  Now I have to be honest, this doesn't always go like you want it to.
 
People don't know it but within an instant of time I can tell what level of 'like' a person might have for a particular painting.  You think you can hide your MEH face but I see it a mile away!!  A smile, golden.  A lingering pause, fireworks.  Bring someone over to take a look with you and I do my internal happy dance.
 
But one thing that always impresses me and makes me a better artist is peoples ideas, suggestions and comments.  Greve in space, that idea came from an 8 year old.   So when my customers come up to me and tilt their head, ready to share I listen.  I see them worried about my reception of their comments but inside I can't wait to hear what they have to say.
 
This image idea is courtesy of Lucy, a fellow cycling chick. "Where are the girls?" she asked as she was thumbing through my notecards.  I thought, "Yeah Gina, where ARE the girls?"  Sure, Greve is the bomb but girls love bikes too.  Into the studio I went.  Lucy approved all four images I created and soon they will be in 4x6 notecards.
 
I love to hear customers thoughts.  Some are bizarre and a few bruise my ego a bit but that's what makes me better.  Lucy had a few other suggestions. "Is there a girl Greve?"  Stay posted! 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment